Boating Accident Attorneys in Birmingham, AL
Many people find boating on open waterways a fun recreational activity. The fun comes to an abrupt stop when a boating accident occurs. The most common causes of boating accidents are the result of weather extremes, dangerous and negligent conduct, and occasionally manufacturer product defects.
Claims involving boating accidents are usually trickier to handle than regular personal injury cases, especially if the incident occurs in a region like the Gulf Coast, where the claim can be governed by maritime law – the regulations that apply to organizations that manage vessels on the oceans. This is why it is essential to deal with a lawyer with experience managing both personal injury cases and claims involving boat accidents.
Hurt in an accident on the water?
Contact Petro Accident and Injury Attorneys. Our attorneys are experienced at building strong cases, giving your personal injury claim the attention it deserves and getting you any compensation that you may be entitled to for your injuries.
Visit our Birmingham personal injury law firm today to schedule a consultation!
Why Do I Need a Boating Accident Attorney in Birmingham, AL?
There are a number of reasons why you should hire a competent boating attorney once you get involved in a boating accident:
- Alabama marine law is very specific and technical, and boating law can be confusing. You can have peace of mind knowing that the appropriate individuals will be held accountable if you’ll have a competent boat accident attorney to represent you.
- You might be unable to bring the proper claims against all liable parties if you try to represent yourself. You might not receive the entire amount of compensation you deserve.
If you were injured in a Birmingham, Alabama, boating accident, let the experienced team help you with your legal needs. Contact us now, or visit our Petro Accident and Personal Injury Law Firm for sound legal advice!
What is a Boat Accident?
Boats, ships, ferries, and personal watercraft like jet skis are a few examples of seagoing vessels that can be involved in boat accidents.
A boat’s captain and the owner must take all reasonable safety measures to reduce the possibility of accidents and injuries to swimmers and passengers.
Tragedies can happen, and individuals can get harmed or killed if they don’t take the proper care and precaution.
Common Types of Boating Accidents
Boats and other watercraft can result in accidents and injury in many ways. These consist of the following:
- Collisions with Fixed Objects: A boat may also run into a raft, a pier, or bridge support, among other fixed structures or objects.
- Accidents involving other Watercraft: Boats may run into other boats or other watercraft, such as jet skis.
- Falling Overboard: Passengers falling overboard is the result of a grounding. Falling overboard can occur when the boat is moving too quickly, especially when someone is standing up inside the boat while it is moving or when there is bad weather. Although it is less common than other types of watercraft accidents, falling overboard is one of the leading causes of deadly boat accidents.
- Boat Flooding or Capsizing: This happens when a boat goes too quickly or encounters rough or windy conditions. Accidental removal of a boat plug can also lead to capsizing.
- Grounding: This happens when a boat directly collides with a heavy object or surface, like sizable rocks, reefs, shoals, or even shore. Passengers may uncontrollably be tossed when a boat moving too fast runs aground, potentially leading to serious injury or wrongful death.
The stress and worry brought on by a boating accident can be reduced with the assistance of our competent Accident and Injury Attorneys. Call us right away to schedule a consultation!
Causes Of Boating Accidents
When a boating accident is not the result of extreme weather conditions, an act of negligence is generally found to be the main cause. Individuals, groups of people, small business, or large corporations, can all be responsible for endangering the lives of others through carelessness or neglect.
The most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Crashes with other vessels, fixed objects, or people
- Negligent operation (Endangering a towed skier or tuber)
- Reckless Operation (Boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs)
- Dangerous or faulty parts
- Negligent maintenance
Overcrowded boats (which can cause them to sink and take on water) and equipment malfunction resulting from the boat owner’s negligence are other reasons that may cause a boating accident. It is possible to bring a product liability claim against the creator, producer, or distributor of the faulty goods if it turns out that a product flaw had a part in the boat accident.
You must find the best boat accident lawyer if you suffer from catastrophic injuries due to faulty parts or the boat operator’s negligence.
Our personal injury attorneys will help you get the fair compensation you deserve.
File A Claim for a Boating Accident in Birmingham, Alabama
Boat accident victims deserve full and fair compensation where another party’s carelessness or irresponsibility brought on their injuries. Aside from the actual monetary losses like medical bills, missed income, and loss of earning capacity, compensatory damages for these injuries may also include non-financial losses like pain and suffering, psychological distress, disfigurement, permanent disability, and reduced quality of life.
Punitive damages may also take place in boating accidents. In rare instances where the injured party’s acts were purposeful or intentional, the claimant can file for punitive damages to punish the offender and stop other similar horrible behavior in the future.
In Alabama, you may be awarded punitive damages up to three times the amount of compensatory damages, but the maximum amount is $1.5 million.