Can I settle my personal injury claim on my own?
Yes, technically, you are allowed to settle your own personal injury claim without the assistance of an attorney. It’s important to grasp what you’re getting into, but it is possible to handle your own claim without hiring an attorney. In fact, at Petro Accident & Injury Attorneys, we may even advise you to handle your claim on your own — if it is a straightforward case, such as a simple slip and fall or car accident with minor injuries.
HOWEVER, depending on your circumstances and the complexities of your accident, having an experienced personal injury attorney on your team to fight for you and your rights can be invaluable.
Avoid settling your own injury claim if…
- You’re potentially at fault for the accident
- Multiple parties were involved in the accident
- You have suffered serious injuries
- The at-fault driver has no insurance
- You don’t have the stamina or knowledge to negotiate aggressively
Fight right with an experienced personal injury attorney
Handling a more complex personal injury case on your own is almost always a bad idea. As a matter of fact, not hiring an attorney and assuming they can settle the case on their own is one of the many mistakes personal injury victims make.
Damage caps rules, constraints and deadlines can be confusing and overwhelming — even for experienced attorneys. When it comes to your personal injury case, you don’t get a “do-over,” and the stakes for failing can be substantial. It can be the difference between recovering thousands of dollars to treat an injury and cover medical expenses and not recovering any compensation.
4 major reasons to hire a personal injury attorney
If you’re still on the fence, consider these 4 reasons as to why hiring a personal injury attorney may be a better course of action.
- Get more from your settlement. Hiring an attorney is the best way to improve your chances of not only winning your case but also recovering a substantial settlement to cover your medical expenses, time away from work and more.
- Think like an insurance adjuster. By understanding how insurance adjusters think and what is important to them, you can be smart and maximize how much compensation you receive in a personal injury case.
- Expedite your settlement. The personal injury claims process can carry on for months or even years. Hiring a personal injury attorney puts someone on your side to stay on top of your claim and expedite the process as much as possible.
- Understand the process. As mentioned before, settling a claim can quickly become more complicated than you expected. A personal injury attorney will be with you every step of the way advising you on how to handle insurance adjusters, deal with law enforcement, gather the information required and get the best medical care possible.
Ready to hire a personal injury attorney?
Contact Mark Petro of Petro Accident and Injury Attorneys for a free consultation
Don’t go at it alone! Mark Petro has built a reputation of being the go-to guy to get personal injury claims handled in a manner that maximizes the amount of recovery so that you get what you deserve sooner rather than later. Call Mark Petro of Petro Accident and Injury Attorneys for a free consultation about your case. Let us fight for you!