Birmingham Jackknife Accident Attorney
Why do I need a Jackknife Accident Lawyer in Alabama?After a collision, it’s strongly advised that you get in touch with a jackknife truck accident lawyer in Birmingham, AL. Truck accident claims are very complex. You’ll compete with powerful trucking and insurance companies that know the stakes are high and will make every effort to withhold or reduce your compensation. We at Petro Accident and Injury Attorney can:
- Assist you in comprehending your legal options and rights under Alabama law
- Launch an independent investigation into the collision to identify the responsible parties and assess financial penalties
- Find and store difficult-to-find evidence, such as records from trucking companies, data from black boxes, and records from drivers’ cell phones.
- Seek advice from professionals who can testify about what occurred and how your injuries will affect your life
- On your behalf, handle all paperwork and deadlines.
- Assist you in getting the treatment you require to recover from illness quickly.
- Negotiate a good deal with the trucking insurance providers
- If the insurance company declines to make a fair settlement offer, represent you in court litigation.
What is a Jackknife Truck Accident?When a big truck and its trailer get stuck in a skid, and the trailer swings out sideways from the truck, making a 90-degree angle, it’s called a jackknife truck accident. Unfortunately, there is almost no way for a car driver to avoid these collisions. There is no other option for drivers as the truck trailer blocks the road as it moves out from behind. Accidents involving jackknife trucks frequently result in severe injuries for all parties involved. People are more likely to suffer permanent disabilities because these trucks are much heavier than other passenger vehicles. Additionally, jackknife accident cases have much higher fatality rates than other car accidents. Get in touch with a Birmingham jackknife accident lawyer who can assist you if you have been hurt in this kind of accident. Determining liability can be very challenging in these circumstances, so it’s crucial to have assistance as you look into the situation.
Causes of Jackknife Truck Accidents in BirminghamBig rigs are vehicles also known as “articulated vehicles.” These vehicles are composed of parts connected by flexible joints. The trailer is fastened to the truck pulling it in a semi-truck, making it more susceptible to jackknife accidents. The jackknife shape poses significant risks to smaller vehicles and motorists. Regular cars and trucks are built in one piece, which prevents jackknife accidents. The driver and passengers of a trapped car in a jackknife accident may all suffer severe, catastrophic injuries. Here are the most frequent causes of jackknife truck collisions:
- Trucks breaking too hard
- Trucks taking turns too fast
- High winds and other bad weather conditions
- Badly loaded or secured trailer load
- Drivers over-steering
- Distracted driving
- Other driver errors
Common Jackknife Truck Accident InjuriesAccidents involving jackknifes can result in severe injuries and even the victim’s untimely death. The following is a list of the most common injuries that occur as a result of jackknife truck accidents:
- Whiplash/neck injury
- Spinal injury
- Head/brain injury
- Burn injuries
- Broken/fractured bones
- Cuts and bruises
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death
Determining Liability in Jackknife AccidentsJackknifing accidents are typically the result of driver error. Jackknifing can occur when drivers travel too quickly for a road curve, are distracted while driving, or are otherwise careless. A driver who causes such an accident may be held personally liable for the damages they cause in such situations. However, additional parties and entities may be liable for your injuries and damages. Liability for jackknifing accidents is frequently complicated, sometimes shared by multiple parties, and impossible to determine without a thorough investigation.
- Trucking companies – trucking companies may be responsible for any injuries, losses, or damages if they fail to provide adequate vehicle repair and maintenance or adequately train a driver.
- Loading companies – if cargo loading companies fail to ensure that a truck is loaded correctly, they could be held liable for any damages. A serious accident may occur if the cargo is not loaded evenly or properly secured, which can lead to a shift in the cargo while driving.
- Manufacturing companies – if the faulty parts were responsible for a failure of the brakes or any other type of mechanical failure, the designer or manufacturer of the faulty parts may be liable for product liability.
- Mechanic or maintenance company – a separate business may be held accountable for any mistakes that led to an accident if it was in charge of a tractor-proper trailer’s repair and maintenance—for instance, incorrect brake repair or tire installation.
- Other motorists – a jackknife accident may be partially or entirely the fault of another driver of a vehicle who cuts off a truck or commits another driving mistake that forces the truck driver to react quickly by slamming on the brakes or swerving.
- Government agencies – hazardous road defects may contribute to trucking accidents. Construction zones that are unsafe or poorly managed, as well as poor signage, can result in dangerous accidents.
Dealing With Insurance CompaniesA jackknife accident can result in a chaotic scene, especially if multiple cars are involved in the collision. When an accident occurs, trucking companies and their insurers may send out company representatives, insurance adjusters, and even accident reconstructionists and investigators to “damage control” the situation. They do this to gain an advantage over any tractor-trailer accident claims and develop a plan to pay as little money as possible. Avoid speaking with insurance adjusters or company representatives at the scene of an accident. Avoid signing anything. Never agree to any settlement agreement. Following a jackknife truck wreck, you should get in touch with a Birmingham jackknife accident attorney to protect your rights and ensure someone is looking out for your best interests. Your personal injury lawyer will handle all correspondence and negotiations on your behalf and will start gathering pertinent proof.
Recoverable Compensation After an Alabama Jackknife AccidentOur Alabama jackknife truck accident attorneys know that suffering severe injuries in a jackknife collision can profoundly impact one’s quality of life and that pursuing financial compensation can be difficult. To protect your interests, it is crucial to have the personal injury law firm of Petro Accident and Injury Attorney on your side. If a truck accident case has caused injuries to you or a loved one, you may be entitled to financial compensation for
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Property damage
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
- Wrongful death
- Punitive damages, if applicable